Sunday 26 October 2014

Paper 1




Rationale
The type of written text that I have chosen to produce is a letter to the editor, I have chosen to produce not only one letter but two so that I may be able to not only shine light on the matter of texting but to also be able to discuss the topic with contradicting view points. By using structural and stylistic conventions such as powerful adjectives, rhetorical questions, emotive language, evidence to support and a clear introduction and conclusion will help enhance the viewpoints. The first letter will be from the perspective of a school teacher who is against texting and views it as a negative subject. However in the second letter, the perspective will be from a second person who is a part of the youth of today and views texting as a positive subject. As both letters either hold a positive or negative perspective, the targeted audience will be someone who reads Times magazine and will either possess a positive or negative view on the subject of texting. The intended purpose of the letters is to show both viewpoints of both perspectives and to explain how texting has impacted both, along with explaining the insight into how texting affects language and technology.



Is Texting Killing the English Language? People have always spoken differently from how they write, and texting is actually talking with your fingers By John McWhorter
Dana Farah
18 October 2014

To The Editor,
Having seen your article last week in Times Magazine, I was absolutely disgusted by the fact that “textspeak” has been seen as a rich and complex “spoken” language. Never in my thirty years of teaching have I ever come across such a vile and ghastly “language”.
Do you think it is acceptable for the youth of today's generation to be looked down upon and be seen as unintelligent, just because this so called textspeak has affected their lingual ability to not only accept new words but to also encourage unconstrained language. As a teacher I see it as such a disappointment due to the fact that, the students who use abbreviated words and sentences are wasting their time and talent. By using such elements of text speak they are damaging their chances to express themselves through their writing. In the end where will it take them? Certainly not to Harvard, Brown or Duke; no they will end up working at some fast food restaurant that only pays them minimal wage and will have no problem with their vulgar use of language!
I will not stand by and allow such a language to surpass the divine english language. The youth of today does not have enough common sense to see the destruction that their language is inflicting on both themselves and society. I agree with the statement “Texting is developing its own kind of grammar” that is displayed in your article as it is very true, everyday before I start my lessons I ask my students to write one paragraph about any topic they desire. When I grade them, I am generally completely stunned by what is presented to me as most of the papers lack capital letters, basic grammatical knowledge, punctuation and in general, it is written in a sloppy manner. Is this the way you want the youth to continue on? Would you want your children to end up having a constricted future? I am one hundred percent positive that this is not what you want, so let's minimize the use of this language and bring back the language that was once seen as breathtaking.
I would appreciate it if my words were taken into consideration and that the youth of today and society finally open their eyes and see the real damage being caused here. I will never stop trying to prove and display the issues I uphold with the outrageous use of textspeak within the educational facility and throughout the world. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion in the end, many people believe that textspeak is just a temporary phase that we will overcome in time, or a phase that we gradually continue to develop and will eventually turn into a new from of modern jargon, I for one hope that it is a temporary phase that within due time will be surpassed by standard english.
-Sincerely Dana Farah

Is Texting Killing the English Language? People have always spoken differently from how they write, and texting is actually talking with your fingers By John McWhorter
Dana Farah
18 October 2014

To The Editor,
Having seen your article last week in Times Magazine, I was very ecstatic as you finally discussed the topic everyone has been causing controversy about, texting. You did not beat around the bush, no you simply got to the point which is that texting has gotten and continues to be a rich and complex “spoken” language, as stated by John McWhorter.
I use textspeak all the time in order to communicate with my friends, as it is something that we are fluently associated with, I see textspeak as a second language to me as after standard English it is my another language form that I associate with. I personally get a little bit aggravated when society say's that textspeak affects our ability to perform well in school just because we are comfortable with using textspeak, do you think that is fair? As part of the younger generation I can say that we are all able to distinguish between textspeak and standard english when it comes to writing tests or essays, it is rare when someone can not but I will admit to the fact that sometimes we do tend to accidentally apply textspeak into our work without realizing.
People need to realize that texting its self is “its own kind of grammar” as you stated, and that although we do not use proper capital letters, punctuation or write it in a presentable format ,we the younger generation, use a code that is mostly separate from the English language. Even if by the end of the day textspeak is not accepted into society, I personally find it useful and I hope that one day it transforms into a modern day jargon.
- Sincerely Dana Farah


Bibliography:






No comments:

Post a Comment