Wednesday 3 December 2014

Further Oral Activity Refelection


My further oral activity explored the topic of beauty stereotypes, and how the media promotes and displays insecurity and image consciousness to women through the use of advertisements. I presented and compared two advertisements. The first one was a Palmolive bath bar advertisement, and the second one was a makeup forever professional foundation advertisement. I was able to achieve the learning outcomes as I examined the contrasting forms of communication within the advertisements that I presented and I was able to show an awareness of the ideological influence that the media displayed in the advertisements I presented. Along with being able to show and explain how the media used language and images to not only inform women about their specific product, but to also persuade them into wanting it. Having accomplished presenting my presentation I felt less agitated, and far more relaxed. Along with feeling proud (as even though I had done numerous presentations in the past) this was something new. In the middle of my presentation, I was slightly confused, I overcame that particular obstacle by composing myself, I continued and made it work. I would say that I did well in criteria A, B and D, however, I feel that for criteria C, I could have been more organized and responded to that criteria more effectively. I chose my specific text's due to my interest in stereotypes. When this topic was discussed in class, I found myself fascinated with stereotyping, even though I had learnt a little about it in another subject, this was on a completely different level. I also wanted the chance to explore and demonstrate how beauty stereotypes have been set and how they have evolved over a period of time. In my presentation I discussed the features of how each text leads women to feel both insecure and self conscious about their image, along with explaining the true meaning of preciously how the media executes it through the use of their advertisements. After completing this activity, I have learnt that I need to be a tad more organized and that overall it wasn't a negative experience. I have to admit, I thought it would have been. In the future when I will have to complete more of these oral assessments, I shall be experienced and I will know exactly how they are conducted and what is expected of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment