Tuesday 30 September 2014

J-17 Interview


J-17

Overnight sensations - The story about how two young teenagers shared their message with the world



It was only 5 months ago when these two boys took to the stage on the hit television show ' Britain’s Got Talent' and amazed the world with their powerful original song “Hopeful”. The British singing/rapping duo comprises of fourteen year old Leondre Devries, and sixteen year old Charlie Lenehan, better known as Bars and Melody. They literally became overnight sensations and were seen as courageous to the general public, because they shared such a personal story that held such a powerful message. I had the fortunate opportunity to sit down with these two extraordinary boys this summer and interview them, getting the scoop on their journey and everything that has happened over the past 5 months.

So boys, firstly I must begin by telling you both that I think you are amazing, your song made me feel very emotional the first time I heard it, the lyrics, your voices, simply incredible. Please explain your motivation for writing this song...

Well since I was in primary school I was always being bullied heavily , I used to always get beat up walking home from school and it just seemed that I always kept moving schools and I felt like everywhere I went I seemed to get bullied, and I felt so trapped. I didn't know how to break free of it all, so I just started writing poems and my emotions out on paper, and one day I just heard this beat and I thought to myself wow this is a good beat and so I just started writing the poem to it and it eventually turned into a song. I also started rapping around that time and I always used to and still do listen to a lot of Tupac Shakur, so that basically was my motivation behind the song “ Hopeful”. ( Leondre)


Wow, you have come such a long way from then. The other day I read that after singing your song that a lot of bullies actually apologised to their victims, what's your take on that ?

Well to see that we could leave such a positive impact after singing our song is just completely insane. To actually see and know that a lot of people are actually owning up to what they have done and are apologising is just amazing, I mean no one should ever go through such a horrible experience and feel like they are constantly needing to look over their shoulder or not attend school because they are afraid. So knowing that it is all slowly fading away is remarkable. ( Charlie)

Coming from personal experience I am so thrilled that this has actually begun to happen. The fact that people are realizing that their actions are actually hurtful and can cause someone a lot of pain and suffering and are owning up to it as Charlie said, is just mind blowing. It also means that people are starting to get the message of ant-bullying and are beginning to take this matter seriously just makes me want to continue on spreading such positivity and enlightenment around the world. ( Leondre)


This is the last question for today and before I say it I just want to thank you two for taking the time to sit down with me, and that I am such a fan and can not wait till you boys release your first album. How did you feel after being able to share your song with the world?

Thank you for having us it's been great. I just feel so privileged and blessed that I was able to go up on stage and just share my story with the world , and to know that it created such a positive effect on many is just spectacular. ( Leondre)

First off thank you for having us today, I am just so happy that I am able to share awareness of anti-bullying and that whilst doing that I am also being given the opportunity to fulfil my dreams and it's just an enormous blessing. ( Charlie)








"Hopeful"

Oh-oh-oh
Check it out
Oh, no
Here we go

Please help me God, I feel so alone
I'm just a kid, how can I take it on my own?
I've cried too many tears, yeah, writing this song
Trying to fit in. Where do I belong?
I wake up every day, don't wanna leave my home
My mamma's askin' me why I'm always alone
Too scared to say, too scared to holler
I'm walking to school with sweat around my collar
I'm just a kid, I don't want no stress
My nerves are bad, my life's a mess
The names you call me, they hurt real bad
I want to tell my Mom
She's havin' trouble with my Dad
I feel so trapped, there's nowhere to turn
Come to school
Don't wanna fight I wanna learn
So please mister Bully
Tell me what I've done
You know I have no Dad
I'm livin' with my Mom

Just be hopeful, yes, I am
Hopeful for today
Take this music and use it
Let it take you away
And be hopeful, hopeful
And He'll make a way
I know it ain't easy but that's okay
Just be hopeful

Why do you trip every single day?
I didn't ask to be born but now I have to pay
I ain't got no money, you take all I have
When I give it to you, I search through my bags
I feel so scared when you shut me down
You kick me, punch me, throw me to the ground
When I ask you, yo, what have I done?
You hit me again, and make fun of my Mom!

I'm hopeful, yes, I am
Hopeful for today
Take this music and use it
Let it take you away
And be hopeful, hopeful
And He'll make a way
I know it ain't easy, but that's okay
Just be hopeful

What I wear is all I have
We lost our home, I'm livin' from a bag
Yo mister Bully, help me please
I'm flesh and blood, accept me please
Hey mister Bully, I don't know what to do
My mind, it can't explain what I did to you
Mister Bully, take in all my please
Every single day you bring me to my knees

Hopeful, yes, I am
Hopeful for today
Take this music and use it
Let it take you away
And be hopeful, hopeful
And He'll make a way
I know it ain't easy, but, that's okay
Just be hopeful.






To watch Bars and Melody's new single click the link below:










No comments:

Post a Comment